Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Many of you know about Barb Gorman, a friend of mine and a member of my homeschool groups. She is also one of the wonderful women who edit my Niche articles each month. The past two years, Barb has gone through more heartache and trials than many go through in a life time. In October 2007, she lost a baby girl at nearly full term. A few weeks later she was diagnosed with cancer. She spend most of 2008 battling a rare, very aggresive form of breast cancer. 10 weeks ago she was declared cancer free. Then, it came back with a vengence. I would really appreciate your prayers for Barb and for her family. Below are two letters. The top one is the last one that Barb sent out. The bottom one is from a member in my homeschool group who is oranizing some help for Barb and her family. Please do not feel obligated in any way to give but I wanted to lay this opportunity out there, just in case God lays it on your heart to pray for Barb or even contribute.


Hi all. Thank you for your prayers, I can't tell you how much that helps strengthen us. We're starting to see doors close and open for treatment options.

Each time of talking with the doctors reveals more information. Most of which I really didn't want to know. They gave me a life expectancy today that I wasn't happy about, and I've decided that I'm not going to accept it or believe it. God is all powerful and can do all things.

At this time we've decided to go to Wichita for vitamin C IV therapy. I want to do therapy that won't ruin my health, but is healing. If nothing else, I don't want the therapy to wipe me out and leave me on the couch nauseous. Pretty much everything we're looking at is alternative therapy. I really don't have a peace about taking chemo again. (the insurance company is probably thrilled! chemo cost them a fortune last year!)

We're doing (my husband is doing all the work) juicing, enzymes, probiotics, Razz Tabs and several other things.

With the complications of the liver cancer, I can't take in all I would like to. The pain is increasing and my mobility is quickly decreasing. With the edema in my legs/feet and torso, I'm uncomfortable most of the time and am having difficulty sleeping. This and the liver are my most urgent prayers because this is where most of my pain is coming from. Please continue to pray for our family and for safe travel. The kids are having a hard time. There are fewer and fewer places they can hug me that don't hurt and to see the hurt on their faces, because of the pain on mine is hard to handle when they just wanted to show me love. Chris is trying so hard to minimize my pain and help out, he's running ragged. He has such a good heart and I was so blessed to have had God give him to me as my husband. Ruth has continued to find new ways to act out and cause turbulence in our home, it's her thing she does when things are stressful. She will be going to stay with a friend for a while to give us a break and a chance for peace around the house. Even the grandmas are needing a break at this point. We praise God for the gal helping us out.

Thank you so much to those who've sent cards and helped in so many ways. May God open His flood gates of blessings to you.

Barb Gorman
God is Good all the time.....All the time, God is good"You are the embodiment of the information you choose to accept and act upon. To change your circumstances you need to change your thinking and subsequent actions." Adlin Sinclair

********************************************************************

Dear SHEEPs group,

I have been praying about starting a fundraiser for the Gorman family, though I hadn't approved this through Barb yet. I talked with her husband this morning and he said it was okay if that was what I felt lead to do. She is heading to Wichita to undergo Vit. C drip treatments. All of the current treatments they are pursuing are an out-of-pocket expense. This treatment itself with testing will run between $4000-$4500. This doesn't include traveling and all that goes along with that.

I think most of their physical needs are met through family, but I am sure more help would be wonderful in the form of meals, etc. Mostly, parents are watching the children and providing meals at this point. I will provide the Gorman's address and phone number below. The phone number if you would like to bring a meal, you can call and check first. The address if you would like to send a donation. The most important thing we can do right now is faithfully pray for Barb and her family.

If we could somehow lift the financial burden, that would be helpful. My son, is working on a letter to go out to many people and churches in different parts of this country to ask for prayer (the number one need) and any financial support they are willing to give. Any of you could do the same. You could send a letter to your church or family or people you know, explaining Barb's situation and health and need.I am suggesting a gift of $100. I know times are rough, and many people have already given, so I am trying to reach beyond local friends and groups, but at the same time, not exclude local friends and groups.

If you would like to donate, you can just send a check made out to Chris and/or Barb Gorman to their home address. If you would like to donate anonymously, you could just send a money order.

Chris and Barb Gorman
5987 NE 88th Street
Altoona, IA 50009


Thank you for keeping them in your prayers and considering what you can do to help.

In Christ,
Mary Dorin
"Only fear the Lord, and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider how great things he hath done for you." 1 Samuel 12:24

No comments: